• Nigerian ‘sweetheart scam syndicate’ fight extradition to face music in US

    The North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria will on Wednesday hear an application in which eight Nigerians nabbed for a “sweetheart” cyber scam seek to stop the South African government from extraditing them to stand trial in the US. The matter was on the roll on Tuesday‚ but Judge Elizabeth Kabushi postponed the matter for the preparations of heads of argument by the state and the applicants. Last week Thursday‚ Judge Kabushi granted an interim order stopping the extradition of the eight. The judge also ordered “the state to immediately take necessary steps to have” Seson Olimede Farin and Femi Alexandra Mewase — who had already been extradited — returned to SA pending the finalisation of the matter.

    Sowetan LIVE q
  • South Africa: Banned in Ethiopia, Now Forced to Leave South Africa

    Legesse Seifu, a 46-year-old Ethiopian asylum seeker, has been ordered to get out of the country before 28 May (tomorrow) by the South African department of home affairs. My problems began after the 2005 Ethiopian election - the president, Meles Zenawi, refused to get out of office despite the opposition party win. Press freedom is a myth in Ethiopia, therefore, I was arrested and detained for three days for criticising the government.

    AllAfrica.com q
  • Man offers lobola for Obama's 16-year-old daughter

    My News My Community - Sowetan LIVE.

    Sowetan LIVE q
  • Meek Mill not ready to wed Nicki Minaj | The New Age Online

    The 28-year-old rapper had gifted the 'Anaconda' hitmaker a 15-carat heart-shaped white and yellow diamond ring last month, but insisted that they were not engaged, the Mirror reported. Talking about their relationship, Mill said that it was definitely real but it was not really time to get married yet as they were still learning each other, feeling each other out.

    The New Age q
  • Support grows for SA whites to return to Europe petition

    More than 25,000 people have supported a Change.org petition for the European Union to allow white South Africans citizenship in Europe, because white people could die from ethnic cleansing in South Africa at any moment. The man who started the petition is Rodrigo de Campos – who is based in Brazil, but concerned for the well-being of white people in South Africa, Namibia and Zimbabwe. “Many white South Africans today live in poverty and squalor as a consequence of the ANC government’s Black Economic Empowerment,” de Campos said his petition, which alleged that more than 4,000 white farmers had been slain in the country, a claim that has been thoroughly debunked by Africa Check.

    Sowetan LIVE q
  • Briefcases stacked with dollars: How South Africa rigged the 2010 World Cup bid

    By May 2004, Jack Warner knew exactly which country he was going to back to host the 2010 World Cup. Warner, the head of the Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football or CONCACAF, had been a FIFA vice president since 1997 and had served on its executive committee since 1983. During this time, he had turned the choosing of World Cup hosts into a lucrative enterprise that paid him handsome bribes and kickbacks in exchange for his influence over voting in FIFA elections and for host countries.

    Times LIVE q
  • Zuma an inarticulate, homophobic, sexist, afrophobic, kleptomaniac clown: opposition

    "He accused the opposition of “political poverty”. Zuma must explain what is “politically rich” about his constant “my babo” refrain or if that is a political concept worth responding to," the Economic Freedom Fighters' Mbuyiseni Quintin Ndlozi said in a media release. "If this ANC provided any substance like the ANC of Thabo Mbeki, Joel Netshitendze, and Sidney Mufumadi, the opposition would probably have something to nibble on; but on Zuma’s table of discourse is only unrelated sophomore broken speech accompanied by super unethical and uncontrollable parasitic appetite for public resources.

    Times LIVE q
  • The seven most ridiculous things Fikile Mbalula said about the World Cup bribery allegations

    Sports and recreation minister Fikile Mbalula gave a press conference today, presenting his transformation report.

    Times LIVE q
  • A letter to Kenny Kunene

    My News My Community - Sowetan LIVE.

    Sowetan LIVE q
  • A hacker is on the line

    This country is the 14th-most popular target for cyber criminals but few South Africans appreciate the risks they are facing. Vodacom's chief technology security officer, Vernon Fryer, said South Africa was hit by its first cellphone "ransomware" attack last month. Ransomware is software that a hacker uses to embed a virus on a device that encrypts the data stored on the device. The hacker promises to release a decryption code that will make the data available again - if he's paid off.

    Times LIVE q
  • Maradona cheers FIFA arrests, warns Blatter may be next

    Maradona said he was "enjoying" the news of the arrest of seven officials, including two FIFA vice-presidents, in a dawn raid at a luxury hotel in Zurich. "Watch out, Blatter may have to go the United States to explain himself. The crackdown came two days before Blatter seeks a fifth term as the head of the multi-billion-dollar organization.

    Times LIVE q
  • Send Cubans back home‚ say SA engineers

    South African engineers are calling for their Cuban counterparts who have been brought in to help improve service delivery in the Free State to go back home. The SA Institution of Civil Engineering on Tuesday expressed its disgust and disapproval at the decision taken by Free State government to bring Cuban engineers to help in delivering services in the province. South African Institution of Civil Engineering (Saice) CEO Manglin Pillay said Cuban engineers should not be allowed to practice in South Africa as they cannot be registered by the Engineering Council of SA (ECSA).

    Sowetan LIVE q
  • Open your mind to a changing world - The Mercury

    The future belongs to those who realise the inevitability of a cosmopolitan world, says Fikile-Ntsikelelo Moya. It belongs to those who realise the inevitability of a cosmopolitan world and start preparing for it now. The hints are all there, in South Africa and abroad. The Department of Basic Education has announced that as part of the selection criteria for the Funza Lushaka bursary programme, offered to a quarter of the national student teacher intake at universities, prospective recipients who want to study foundation phase (grades 1-3) teaching would already need to be trained in an indigenous African language.

    Independent Online q
  • Pitso eyes Kaizer Chiefs trio

    Mamelodi Sundowns head coach Pitso Mosimane admits that they will continue watching the market and secure quality players to beef up his squad ahead of 2015/16 season. Nedbank Cup winners Sundowns are reportedly said to be head- hunting the signatures of Kaizer Chiefs trio George Lebese, Tefu Mashamaite and Itumeleng Khune.

    Sowetan LIVE q
  • DJ Sbu making bread now - SundayWorld

    It’s not over until DJ Sbu says so. It seems the SABC suspension has not halted Sibusiso Leope. Sbu was suspended by SABC after he pissed off his bosses when he defiantly promoted his energy drink at the Metro FM Awards which were beamed live on SABC 1 last Saturday night. According to Sbu the project of getting his Nzo Bread into our supermarket aisles has taken him 3 years to achieve.

    sundayworld.co.za q
  • New dawn for Nigeria?

    Buhari, 72, has said the corrupt and corruption will have no place in his administration, sparking fears of a wide-ranging crackdown similar to his previous time as military ruler in the 1980s. Buhari has promised to declare his personal assets and liabilities for greater transparency and accountability. Boko Haram is currently seen as on the run but security experts say the war is far from over, with sporadic attacks continuing and the likelihood the rebels could regroup in border regions. Nearly 66% of Nigeria's population of more than 170 million is under 30.

    Times LIVE q
  • Singapore Airlines plane loses power mid-flight

    A Singapore Airlines (SIA) Airbus plane carrying 194 people temporarily lost power to both engines on a recent flight to Shanghai, SIA confirmed Wednesday after a flight tracker said the plane had to descend 13,000 feet (3.96 kilometres) before normal operation was restored. The carrier said it was investigating the May 23 incident together with Airbus and engine manufacturer Rolls-Royce. In a statement, SIA said the Airbus A330-300, carrying 182 passengers and 12 crew members, “encountered bad weather at 39,000 feet about three and a half hours after departure” from Singapore.

    The Citizen q
  • Chris Brown in legal battle over child support | The New Age Online

    Chris Brown is engaged in a legal battle over paying child support to Nia Guzman, the mother of his 11-month-old daughter Royalty.

    The New Age q
  • Nigeria: Boko Haram - We Knew We Were Alive but Didn't Understand How - - Rescued Victims

    On Sunday, May 10, 2015, Vanguard Features, VF, visited Malkohi Settlement, about 25km from Yola, Adamawa State capital, to see victims of Boko Haram insurgency freed from the Sambisa forest enclave of the dreaded Boko Haram terror group. Happy to have come out of the proverbial Lion's den alive, Amina Suleiman and Farida Audu (not real names), two young women from Gumsiri village (about 30km from Chibok)in Damboa Local Government Area of Borno State, relay their horrible experiences to VF.

    AllAfrica.com q
  • Michelle Obama worth $40 as a slave, says IS

    In a new edition of its propaganda magazine, IS vows to bring slave markets to the West and claims the American First Lady isn't worth all that much.

    Times LIVE q